Information We Collect
By visiting the WebSite and using its features and services, you provide certain personal data in a variety of means. This information can be classified into two types of information: Information you voluntarily provide to us, information that we automatically collect, and information collected from other sources.
Information You Voluntarily Provide To Us
Registration (Sign-Up). If you choose to register directly with the Website, you must provide a username, a valid email address, and a password. The Website will store the username, email address, and a hashed version of your password in our database. The Website will verify the email address by sending a confirmation email message to the email address, and the Website will keep track of which email addresses have been verified. The username does not have to be your real identity.
You may also choose to register through a third-party social provider, such as Twitter or GitHub. If you register through one of these providers, you must still provide a username, but you do not need to provide a password nor an email address. The username does not have to be your real identity and it does not need to match the username used on the third-party social provider. When you use one of these third-party services, the Website receives and stores information that uniquely identifies your account on the third-party service. This allows the Website to verify your identity during future visits to the Website. The website may also receive additional information about you from these third-party sites, including, but not limited to, your username and email address. The Website may use this information to suggest a username during the registration process, but it does not store this information in our database unless you explicitly use it during the registration process.
Comments. The Website allows registered users to post comments to articles. If you wish to leave a comment on an article, you must register with the Website. Comments are publicly visible to all users of the Website, including, but not limited to:
- Other registered users
- Users and visitors to the Website that are not registered
- Search Engine "bots" and RSS Feed Aggregators
Contact Us Page. The Website maintains a Get In Touch ("Contact page") to allow users to leave feedback and ask questions. You do not need to register to use the Contact page, but if you are registered and signed into the site, that information is captured as well. Any information that you provide via the Contact page will be stored in our systems and potentially sent via email to the administrators of the Website.
Information That We Automatically Collect
By browsing the Website, we capture certain information including your IP address, browser and operating system version, URLs requested, referring websites, and the dates and times of these events. This information is stored within the log files using the CloudWatch service of Amazon Web Services (AWS). The Website uses this information to improve the quality of the Website's content and performance. We do not link the information contained within CloudWatch to your user account, except as described in the "How We Use This Information" section.
Information Collected From Other Sources
The Website does not use third-party services that track your activity. We do not sell or give your information to other companies or services, except as described in the "How We Use This Information" section.
Children's Personal Information
While the content on the Website is available to everybody, you must be at least 16 years old to register with the Website. We do not collect any information from anyone under 16 years of age.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies
- To allow you to sign in and uniquely identify your account.
- To help secure the information you provide to the Website. This includes use of the Contact page.
If you configure your web browser to reject or "block" these cookies, you will still be able to read the contents of the Website, but you will not be able to sign in, post a comment, or make use of the Contact page.
How We Use This Information
The Website does not sell or rent your personal information to marketers or any third parties. We use email addresses for verification purposes, for login purposes, and for sending out occasional informational messages, such as updates to this Policy Policy. We will never sell your email address to third parties, and we will never spam you with advertising messages.
On rare occasion, we may share your personal information with trusted third parties, including:
- Service Providers, such as AWS: We may share your personal information with service providers to help us with things like website hosting, email delivery, and auditing. The Website is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) using their API Gateway service.
- Safety, legal, and law enforcement: We may disclose personal information if necessary: (a) under applicable law; (b) to enforce our Terms of Service; (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (d) to respond to requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, and other public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence.
How You Can Control This Information
The Website is committed to protecting your privacy, and strives to keep the amount of personal data we collect to the absolute minimum necessary. If you decide to register with the Website, we offer the following data control options:
- The right to download a copy of the personal data you provided
- The right to update the personal information
- The right to request deletion of your personal information, which we are not required to maintain by necessity
These options are available on your individual profile page.